Sacred Heart Altar Society
Sacred Heart Altar Society is a parish organization with a membership consisting of all women age 18 and older within the parish. Its purposes are: 1-to support the life of the parish, especially through acts of charity and service, 2-to foster love and respect for the House of God, 3-to promote Mass attendance and reception of the Eucharist, and 4-to care for the needs of the altar by providing those items that enable and enhance our parish worship (wine, hosts, linens, flowers, banners, etc.) and our presence in the Gettysburg community.
To accomplish this mission, the Altar Society engages in a various projects within the parish and the Gettysburg community. These include:
- The Funeral Committee hosts a meal following Funeral Liturgies; members provide salads, dessert and beverages.
- The Cradle Cooks Committee provides a home-cooked meal to the family of a newborn infant.
- The Outreach Committee welcomes new households to the parish and makes regular visits to the residents at the Oahe Manor Nursing Facility.
- Breakfast Socials on the first Sunday of the month during the school year; alternating with the Knights of Columbus.
- Soup and Pie Social - held in January.
- First Communion Lunch for Communicants and their families following Mass
- Assist the Knights of Columbus in serving the post-Confirmation Dinner.
- Provide afternoon snacks before class for the elementary students in the Youth Faith Formation Program.
- Provide a Birthday Party for the residents of Oahe Manor Nursing Facility in January (on hold due to COVID-19 restrictions).
- Host Bingo at the Oahe Manor each Saturday afternoon in June; provide workers and prizes (on hold due to COVID-19 restrictions).
- Have a Mass said for deceased members on or near November 21st; the Feast of the Presentation of Mary in the Temple
- Provide the Pastor with a cash gift on his Birthday, at Christmas and at Vacation time.
- Host 2 fundraisers each year (on hold in 2020 due to COVID-19 restrictions)
- Participate in other church related activities and projects as determined by the membership .